Author: Marissa Meyer
Publication: February 2nd 2016 by Feiwel & Friends
Below is a quick recap of all the chapters within this collection of novellas
- The Keeper – Honestly, I will say that I didn’t completely enjoy this specific story since I thought it was just extra details and it didn’t really make me feel for any of the characters that much. It did give more background with Scarlet which I appreciated. In the second book we don’t really dive into her character – she was just searching for her grandmother – and we didn’t really get anything else or why she is so attached to her but I think this story shed more light on it. Maybe its because we didn’t see too much of their interactions in the second book and as a result, I couldn’t really understand their connection that well.
- Glitches – This story basically delineates how young Cinder first arrived at New Beijing and how she started her life with her Stepmother and Stepsisters. It slightly tugs on your heart and you start to see how Adri’s hate for Cinder began to grow.
- The Queen’s Army – This was a short story revolving around Wolf and how he was recruited into the Queen’s Army. I did enjoy reading about his character, the training process and how much he fought to not lose himself in the process.
- Carswell’s Guide to Being Lucky – You all know how much I love Thorne and this was just absolutely hilarious to read. Of course you will find the occasional witty, flirtations dialogue from Thorne and it also gives us a small background on his character when he was younger. Usually we see Thorne as a light hearted, fun character but in this story, we dive deeper into his character and discover why he makes certain choices
- After Sunshine Passes By – Sweet, Precious Cress. She is one of my favorite characters in the entire series and I loved the transformation she goes through within the Lunar Chronicles to be brave. This story truly does capture her innocence and it crushed my heart a bit. She must be protected at all costs!
- The Princess and the Guard – Heartbreaking. That’s all I can say about this one. It is definitely one of the darker chapters within this collection of novellas and we see how both Winter and Jacin grew up together and how their friendship evolved into something more. Tension also starts brewing with Queen Levana and Winter and we see her cruelty and jealousy for her stepdaughter in more detail. I grew to appreciate Winter a lot more after reading this novella so I am thankful that Marissa gave us more background of Luna.
- The Little Android – WHY DON’T YOU JUST TAKE MY HEART OUT ALREADY? DAMN THE FEELS WITH THIS STORY! I honestly had my doubts when starting to read this since it introduces new characters (with a a small appearance by an old character) and it was a re-telling of the Little Mermaid. Prepare yourselves before reading this. This is NOT the Disney version. I still thought it was quite moving and Marissa Meyer has a way of making you feel for her characters which is why I love her stories.
- The Mechanic – Another one of my favorites since this story is basically the first meeting of Cinder and Kai in New Beijing but in Kai’s perspective. When I first read the Lunar Chronicles (Cinder), Kai automatically captured my attention in the first chapter so it was pretty interesting to read from his perspective. Very cute!
- Something Old, Something New – Swoon worthy! The Final Epilogue where we finally say goodbye to all these awesome characters. It had me feeling all sorts of FEELS!
If any of you guys read the novellas, feel free to share your thoughts below!
Follow me on Instagram! 🙂